13. The First Catholic Church - Saint Ignatius Parish

SAINT IGNATIUS PARISH

The Roman Catholic Community of the Cayman Islands
The Roman Catholic Community of the Cayman Islands
PO Box 2638, 597 Walkers Rd, Grand Cayman KY1-1101, Cayman Islands
Tel: +1.345.949.6797 - Fax: +1.345.945.2594
E-mail: ignatius@candw.ky
Go to content

13. The First Catholic Church

Resources > Parish archives > 50th Anniversary Magazine
1959: The first Catholic church was built during Father Jackmaugh’s time at the site of what is now called Elizabethan Square in downtown George Town. It opened in October 1959. The architect was the late Vincens Oliver from Jamaica. Contractor was Mr. George Bell,  who also painted a mural at the back of the altar and etched a set of windows for the building, using different religious motifs. Mr. Arthur Webb built the altar of mahogany.
    
The dedication of the church brought a number of dignitaries from Jamaica along with nuns and priests for the ceremony, in addition to many leaders of other churches on Grand Cayman
The Catholic community and many Protestants turned out in their Sunday finest in October 1959 for the dedication of the first St. Ignatius Catholic Church building in the Cayman Islands. Some of the processioners shown above may still be in the Cayman Islands today. Can you identify anyone?
Photo courtesy of  Arthur and Lorissa Webb.
Blessing St. Ignatius as the official Catholic Church in the Cayman Islands are Bishop McEleney (right) and Father Jackman.       
Photo: Webb family
Priests and dignitaries from as far away as Boston, Massachusetts attended the official ‘first’ service. From right to left  are (unidentified altar boy), Monsignor Watson, Father Jackmaugh, Father Ball and Bishop McEleney.
Photo: Webb family
It was standing room only at the first service, and this was before air conditioning. The original building had no fans, but cool breezes came through the windows.       
Photo: Webb family
Copyright © Saint Ignatius Parish 2005-2018
Back to content